A bit about us...



We are a modern family of three, living on less than two acres with a 3,000 square foot garden that meets our produce needs and allows us to share with friends and neighbors. Our laying flock of chickens seems to expand each year as we raise chicks each Spring to replace older hens. This blog is more of a journal, if you will, for us to chronicle and share our experiences in the yard, garden and kitchen. It is our hope that along the way a few folks might learn something, be entertained, or simply enjoy sharing in our stories and the lessons we learn on a daily basis. I named the blog after the times when I am the happiest, when I am elbow deep in earth.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Anticipation

I am such a garden geek.  I am so anxious to begin getting my hands in the dirt I can hardly stand it.  Mom and I wandered through a couple garden centers and a plant sale today and it was all I could do not to load up the cart!  I know it is too early for getting some plants in, so I must be patient.  But, that is SO hard!

Having tilled the top portion of the garden yesterday, I allowed myself to give in a little while we were out shopping, but only for cool weather crops.  I picked up Yukon Gold seed potatoes, vidalia onion sets, sweet italian onion sets and some peas (and even remembered innoculant) at Barrett's garden center.  Meijer was a bust for veggies, but I did score some nice blueberry bushes that are already budded and Mom got me two new thornless blackberry bushes.   A trip through Lowe's yielded broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower in packs of 9.  I have never tried any of them, so this will be a good year for learning.  I would like to pick up some red cabbage and brussels sprouts as well.  I cut the potatoes tonight to heal them, hoping they will be ready when I am tomorrow to get them into the ground.


I intend to get some peas in the ground tomorrow as well.  I bought two varieties of peas today, and then discovered I already had a lot of seeds....SO...I will plant LOTS of peas and try different varieties.  They freeze well, and I am such a nerd about shelling them...so its a win win.

Looking back just a smidge, yesterday was productive.  I left my job around noon, came home to change and worked outside all afternoon.  I got the top of the garden tilled (I said that already), the raspberries cleaned up from their spring trimming, and began mulching the paths in the strawberries with newspaper and straw.  I am really hoping this helps corral them and keep the weeds down.  There is so much clean up to do, every day will bring more catch up work.  I enjoy the resulting harvest so much, however, every chore is worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment