A bit about us...



We are a modern family of three, living on less than two acres with a 3,000 square foot garden that meets our produce needs and allows us to share with friends and neighbors. Our laying flock of chickens seems to expand each year as we raise chicks each Spring to replace older hens. This blog is more of a journal, if you will, for us to chronicle and share our experiences in the yard, garden and kitchen. It is our hope that along the way a few folks might learn something, be entertained, or simply enjoy sharing in our stories and the lessons we learn on a daily basis. I named the blog after the times when I am the happiest, when I am elbow deep in earth.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Red, White and Black and Blue...

The weekend weather finally decided to cooperate with us. For the first time in over a month, it was going to be sunny and nice out... time to get some things done around the "farm". For the past three weeks, Brandi had been telling me that if we did not get the plants and seeds in the ground soon, we were not going to have anything ready in time for a decent harvest. No plants = no food... so you can imagine how that bothers me!

This was my weekend with Lexi, so the little monkey was really excited about seeing Brandi and helping out.... and did she ever help! From the moment breakfast was done, we were off and working.

The list was long, the tasks were many, but we were up to the task. As Brandi started cleaning out the chicken coop, I started laying mulched rows at the top of the garden to prepare for getting some of those plants into the dirt. Once a couple of the rows were laid down (therefore making one row for planting) I consulted the expert for what needed done next. Per her instruction, I flipped the dirt with my new favorite tool (the pitchfork) and we began planting "Pepper Alley". 4 different types of peppers (green bell, Tabasco, jalapeno and garden salsa) along with hard neck garlic and candy onions make up "Pepper Alley".

I then went down to the bottom of the garden and started turning the dirt for some more plants. While I was turning a fancy pattern into the bottom of the garden, Brandi planted two different types of tomatoes (Roma and Rutgers) and bush beans.

Turning the bottom of the garden by hand was difficult so I then decided that I should till the area for the corn and then the middle of the garden with the tiller. By then, the day was catching up to me and I was starting to get sore. The boss decided that it was time for a reward... I GOT TO RIDE THE LAWNMOWER!!!

Ending the day with a nice grilled chicken and asparagus (fresh from the garden) dinner and a bonfire with s'mores was just a treat after this day of accomplishment.

Red: My sunburned face, shoulders and top of my ears
White: The pasty skin underneath my shorts
Black and Blue: Every other spot on my body

No comments:

Post a Comment