A bit about us...



We are a modern family of three, living on less than two acres with a 3,000 square foot garden that meets our produce needs and allows us to share with friends and neighbors. Our laying flock of chickens seems to expand each year as we raise chicks each Spring to replace older hens. This blog is more of a journal, if you will, for us to chronicle and share our experiences in the yard, garden and kitchen. It is our hope that along the way a few folks might learn something, be entertained, or simply enjoy sharing in our stories and the lessons we learn on a daily basis. I named the blog after the times when I am the happiest, when I am elbow deep in earth.

Saturday, April 24, 2010

I am the Al Sobotka of gardening

Another weekend here and gone. This is the first weekend when I was actually out to the garden. I got to Brandi's house about noon on Saturday and immediately we decided that we should get something done before the sky started falling.

Brandi had already planned out her end of the work and asked me to do some tilling... to break up the ground in the new (expanded) area for the raspberry bushes and to toss some dirt around in the lower half of the garden.

Once we determined exactly where I was going to till for the raspberries, I got to work. The ground on that side of the property seems like it has never been busted up before, so I got quite a workout from that part of it alone. I was pretty satisfied with it once it was busted up and I am looking forward to getting back out there this week to bust it up again.

Once that part was finished, I moved to the lower half of the big garden where the ground had already been tilled from last fall. This was where I made Al proud, racing around the outside of the garden in a complete loop and then coming back to divide it in half. Once that was complete, I traced a path very similar to a zamboni skating across the ice at the Joe. Once all that was done... it was time for some mischief.

Words to the wise... NEVER place freshly tilled dirt in ANYONE's farmer's crack... you know... the outdoors version of the "plumbers crack"-lest ye be destined for sour faces for the rest of the day- although, it did allow for some comedy... the mooning of chickens to get the dirt out of her undies :)

Other things that I noticed while in the garden (or things over heard):
  • Cub Cadet must have had me in mind when creating the particular walk behind tiller that we use in the garden. The handle is at just the right height to be at balls level when the tiller tines are in the ground. Now, most men would shudder at the thought of a tool's handle near their tool, but I feared not... Cub Cadet was thinking ahead. They placed a gap in that handle just wide enough that my junk was comfortably situated with little fear from crushing.
  • Once the tilling was complete, I was panting a little bit but felt pretty good about the work, when Brandi exclaimed to me (explaining her last time using the tiller) "Tilling made my inner thigh muscles hurt... like 'honeymoon hurt' ".
Just another day on the farm... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment